For information on attending the event, please see Petrea Thule's event page here.
Their Majesties would remind all good gentles of the Kingdom that the deadline for Letters of Intent to fight for your inspiration in Their Crown Tourney is May 18. Further information about the tourney can be found in the Tidings (May Tidings).
For information on attending the event, please see Petrea Thule's event page here.
I will be continuing a monthly review of our covid policies. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
As of 29 Apr 2022 (and to be reviewed by the end of May 2022):
1. Policies for all Events
a. If you are feeling unwell/are experiencing any symptoms of being ill and/or you have been asked to quarantine, do not attend any events (meetings, practices, gatherings, weekend events, etc).
b. CovidSafe policy (with the variance granted to Ealdormere) will continue for all events in Ealdormere
c. This means that proof of vaccination (and ID) will continue to be required.
d. Due to our granted variance, a negative covid test is not allowed as an exemption to a vaccination
e. The roster declaration regarding PoV must be signed by every person attending any official event in Ealdormere. This includes all meetings, martial practices, A&S gatherings, etc.
i. These declarations (found on the website in the library under Seneschal documents) must be sent to the Kingdom Waiver secretary.
2. Policies for Indoor Events or spaces that are considered indoors
a. Masking indoors will continue to be required. This will be reviewed again by the end of May 2022.
b. Singing is allowed but you must remain masked. This will be reviewed by the end of May 2022.
c. Musical instruments that require a person to be unmasked to play are currently not allowed. This will be reviewed by the end of May 2022.
d. The 3m transition zone around a martial field will continue. Will be reviewed again by the end of May 2022
e. Indoor melees can have a maximum of 6 person teams. Will be reviewed again by the end of May 2022.
f. Food can not be cooked on site (ex. No feasts).
g. Food can be sold on site if prepared prior to the event and is prepackaged to individual portions or purchased for resale.
h. Food trucks are allowed.
i. A person must be seated at a table/presence in order to eat or drink.
j. Individual presence space can count as a space to eat/drink if they are 3m from another presence/table.
k. The Royalty room can count as a space to eat/drink; though the number of persons in the room must be limited while eating/drinking.
l. Tables for sitting
i. must be 3m apart from other tables
ii. do not need to be in a designated eating only area any longer.
iii. have a maximum number of seats assigned (to a max of 10)
iv. can be used to eat/drink while seated at the table
v. masks must be worn when leaving the table
vi. it is expected that if a person is seated at a table and is not eating/drinking, then they should be wearing a mask.
3. Policies for Outdoor Events
a. Masks are not required when outdoors. Individuals are allowed to mask if they prefer.
b. There are no restrictions on martial activities.
c. Singing and instrument playing are allowed.
d. Food trucks are allowed.
e. The event staff may not cook food on site as a part of the event activities/No feasts. This will be reviewed again by the end of May 2022.
f. Large tents/sunshades that have a minimum of three sides open do not count as indoors.
g. Any large tents/sunshades that have two or more walls up, count as indoors and masks must be worn when inside.
4. Policies for Camping Events
a. Masks are not required when outdoors. Individuals are allowed to mask if they prefer.
b. If the camping event has both outdoor and indoor spaces; then masks must be worn when indoors.
i. Personal tents do not count as indoor space.
ii. Personal tents do count as indoor space if they are being used to teach a class/used in official capacity as an event activity.
iii. Tents that have one or no walls do not count as indoor space.
iv. Tents that have two or more walls count as indoor space and masks must be worn.
v. Cabins used as public space (official socializing, teaching, etc) for an event is considered as indoors and masks must be worn.
vi. Indoor sleeping areas (ex: dorms/rooms as part of a larger indoor building/cabin) that are set up for families are not considered public space.
1. Masks do not need to be worn when inside their own sleeping area.
2. Masks must be worn when leaving the sleeping room, including when heading to the washroom.
c. There are no restrictions on martial activities.
d. Singing and instrument playing are allowed.
e. The event staff may not cook food on site as a part of the event activities/no feasts.
f. Individual(s)/camps can cook for themselves.
g. Food trucks are allowed.
h. Food can be cooked ahead of time and prepackaged to individual portions to be sold at the event.
i. Camping events without amenities are required to ensure that there are extra handwash stations when ordering port-a-potties.
From The Tidings, May AS LVII:
We continue to encourage all good gentles to add their names to fight for the person that inspires you on the field. The deadline for letters of intent is May 18th at midnight.
Our tournament we hope will challenge the participants through both skill and endurance. We will be holding a randomly drawn double elimination tournament. Each fight shall be decided best 2 out of 3 passes. Until we have 2 winners on the undefeated side and 2 with just one loss. The semifinals shall have one undefeated and one person with one loss randomly matched. There will be best 2 out of 3 matches fought. The first two shall be 2 different matched weapons forms and the third, if needed, shall be fighter’s choice. Each of these matches will be fought best 2 out of 3 as well. First choice of weapons form will go to the undefeated fighter. Should the fighter with one loss be victorious they shall do another 2 out of 3 matches as above with the other fighter now getting first choice of weapons forms. The finals will be best 3 of 5 matches each fought best 2 out of 3. All previous losses will be ignored. The first 4 fights shall be different matched weapons forms with the fifth being fighters choice should it prove to be needed. First choice of weapons will go to the higher ranked fighter and will alternate from there.
For more information on attending Crown Tourney, look here: https://www.ealdormere.ca/petrea-thule-events.html
Greetings everyone from your Kingdom Seneschal,
Ealdormere has had a cautious approach to reopening in this new Covid world and so far, it has served us very well. I recognize that restrictions have been frustrating, and we all want to be done with them. We will however be continuing with the cautious approach to re-opening our Kingdom.
As of 21 Mar 2022 the following covid protocols will be in place:
For all events:
- Proof of vaccination will be required.
- Infectious disease signage is still required
- Passive screening signs are required
For outdoor events: No further restrictions in place.
Specific to camping events: I strongly encourage having extra handwash stations at the event when you are ordering portajohns.
For indoor events:
- Masking requirements will remain in place. This will be reviewed monthly.
- Restrictions to indoor martial activities will remain in place; will be reviewed no later than 30 April 2022
- Food restrictions will remain in place; will be reviewed no later than 30 April 2022.
A quick reminder that though pre-registration is no longer required, if a group wishes to do so they are allowed.
As always, if you have questions or require clarification, please contact me at email@example.com
We are beginning to have in-person events once again! This is a good thing and I know that many of you are looking forward to being together again. Some of you will be jumping right back in and others may be more cautious. Neither is wrong. Please allow each person to determine their own comfort levels when returning to full capacity in-person gatherings.
An important reminder to any events that may be hosting people from out of Kingdom; Ealdormere will be keeping the BoD COVIDSafe policy in place which means that proof of vaccination will be required to attend any official event in Ealdormere; this includes all meetings, practices and weekend events.
For those from out of Kingdom, please note and remember that Ealdormere has a granted variance for the COVIDSafe policy and negative PCR tests do not count for admission. You are required to provide proof of full vaccination (along with a government issued ID) in order to attend events in Ealdormere.
In our province fully vaccinated (from Ontario Legislation: Reopening Ontario) is defined as:
(5) For the purpose of this section, a person is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if,
(a) they have received,
(i) the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by Health Canada, or any combination of such vaccines,
(ii) one or two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada, followed by one dose of a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine authorized by Health Canada, or
(iii) three doses of a COVID-19 vaccine not authorized by Health Canada; and
(b) they received their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before providing the proof of being fully vaccinated.
If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are a few changes happening to our Covid policy. This should surprise no one by now.
As of 8 Mar 2022:
Please contact me at email@example.com if you need clarifications or have questions.
From Their Royal Majesties:
As things begin to warm we find ourselves cautiously optimistic for the coming spring and seeing all of our friends again in person. To that end we must plan to meet with our orders in the coming months.
Lady Mary – Pelican/Wain
Fruits of our Labours – Laurel/Crucible
Murder Melee – Knights/Hammer
Trillium War – Barons/ MODs
Greetings Ealdormere from your Kingdom Seneschal,
I know that most of you have seen the news in Ontario about the changes to some of the covid regulations. As I am writing this, official legislation has not been officially updated and it appears that we’ve moved into the exit phase of the roadmap to reopening. There may be further changes (isn’t there always)?
In addition to the published Ealdormere Covid Safety plan, the following applies as of 1 March 2022:
1. Capacity limits for events have been removed. Please follow all regulations as given by event sites.
2. Proof of vaccination is required to attend all official events (defined as per corpora).
3. PoV declaration forms must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 days of your event.
4. Contact tracing is required, as per BoD mandate.
5. Contact tracing forms must be sent to email@example.com within 14 days of your event.
6. Pre-registration is no longer required but is encouraged as it helps event stewards plan and it helps with compiling your contact tracing.
7. Food and drink can not be consumed indoors (see the safety plan for details regarding martial activities. *This item is under review*
8. Transition zones around martial activities will remain in place.
9. Indoor melees are limited to 3 person teams.
If you have any questions or require further clarification, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Greetings everyone from your Kingdom seneschal,
I’m sure you’re all following the provincial announcements regarding its upcoming changes to the current covid restrictions. The specific legislation that will guide us for the next few weeks was just released (early even) and there will be more changes coming in mid-March, so please bear with me.
One thing that I can say is that proof of vaccination will be required to attend all official events (as defined by Corpora) in Ealdormere, as per the BoD’s CovidSafe mandate. That is not changing.
There are a few changes to our Covid policies that need to be made now to make things less confusing for groups and to keep us in line with the current legislation:
As of 17 Feb 2022
1. All indoor martial activities will be at 25% capacity of a rented venue.
2. Dancing is allowed but events that include dancing will be 25% capacity of a rented venue.
3. All activities at a personal residence will be subject to the social gathering limitations of the province.
4. There will be no food or drink consumed indoors (exemption for martial combatants; please see the Ealdormere covid safety plan for details).
5. Indoor melees are allowed but teams are restricted to a maximum of three.
6. Masks are required for all indoor activities (with exemption for martial activities; please see the Ealdormere covid safety plan for details) and outdoors where 2m social distancing can not be maintained.
7. Active screening is required to enter an event.
8. Contact tracing is required, as per BoD mandate.
9. Proof of vaccination is required.
I know everyone is getting really tired of the rules and all the changing of the rules. Believe me, I know you are, and I get it. Thank you for being as patient as you have been.
As always if you require any clarifications, please contact me at email@example.com
Good morning everyone from your Kingdom Seneschal
We are not out of the woods yet and there are bits of legislation that I will be going over with the group seneschals but for now, as of 1 Feb 2022, the following are in effect:
- Gatherings in private residences are allowed but limited to:
o 10 people indoors
o 25 people outdoors
- Contact tracing and proof of vaccination are required for all official SCA events.
- Contact tracing and proof of vaccination declaration forms must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before your next local gathering or within 14 days, whichever is shorter.
- Groups will receive a 30 day suspension of all official activities if the above documentation is not received in the time frame required.
- Masks must be worn indoors at all times.
- Masks must be worn outdoors when 2m social distancing is not maintained.
- Martial practices and meetings may resume; be aware that there are capacity and other changes at venues. Check your venues requirements/restrictions before your next practice/meeting.
- Food or drink may not be consumed indoors at events.
The Ealdormere safety plan has further changes, the above are just some of the highlights. Please review that document before your next gathering, meeting, practice, event.
If you have questions or require clarification, please contact me at email@example.com
I’d like to take a moment of your time to introduce some new deputies of the seneschal’s office.
· First (and I may have already mentioned this one as she stepped up a couple of months ago); Welcome to Duchess Kaylah who has assumed the deputy office of the Kingdom Calendar Secretary. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Calendar Secretary is responsible for maintaining the Kingdom calendar of events.
· Second, Welcome to Margret who will be taking over the position of Kingdom Social Media Officer. Thank you Sir Richard Larmer for all your work in this office. Ealdormere.Social@gmail.com
The Kingdom Social Media Deputy is responsible for assisting groups in dealing in the use of social media on approved platforms and managing the Kingdom social media presence to support the goals of the SCA within the kingdom.
· Third, Welcome to Countess Isabel who is taking on a special projects’ deputy for Covid.
This new position is to assist the Kingdom Seneschal with items related to the current pandemic. All contact tracing and proof of vaccination declaration forms will be now sent to the Covid deputy.
Thank you to everyone for taking on these positions and helping out your Kingdom.
Greetings Ealdormere from your Kingdom Seneschal,
Once again, things are changing in this pandemic driven world and, as before, it’s not for the better. In light of the new provincial restrictions announced today, Ealdormere will be temporarily shutting down most of our activities.
These new restrictions are in effect from 3 – 31 January 2022.
1. All indoor events are temporarily cancelled.
2. All martial activities are temporarily cancelled.
3. Outdoor gatherings at private residences are permitted up to a maximum of 10 people. Social distancing must be maintained.
4. Pre-reg, contact tracing, PoV must all be completed.
5. Food/drink is allowed outdoors as long as there is a minimum of 2m between each person not of your own physical household.
6. While masking outside is not required if 2m social distancing can be maintained, it is strongly encouraged that an individual wear their mask.
Greetings everyone from your Kingdom Seneschal.
Happy new year! Like every new year, 2022 comes with changes. I wish I could say that after the last couple of years the changes were more positive, but the pandemic is not done with us yet.
I understand how frustrating all these changes are for everyone. Just as it seems like we are getting a grip on the new way things are done, it changes once again. I am thankful for every one of you for being so patient and doing your best. I do ask that you all be wary of complacency, especially with this new variant of covid. It really doesn’t seem to take much to pass it along. Be mindful of yourself and those around you.
As of January 1st, 2022 the following changes are being made to the Ealdormere Covid safety plan/policies. I recognize that some of these points are not new, I’m just reiterating those ones and putting them in one place. Reminder: an event is defined as per corpora and applies to any official SCA activity.
1. In-person events are continuing but this will be subject to change at any time and there may be more safety procedures required by either us or by the venues we are renting. Please double-check with your venue to see what changes need to be followed.
2. Pre-registration, contact tracing and proof of vaccination are still required to attend any event.
3. Contact tracing forms and proof of vaccination declaration forms must be sent to the Kingdom Seneschal before your next event or within 14 days (which is shorter).
4. Masking is always required indoors and outdoors where/when social distancing is not maintained.
5. All gatherings at private residences are restricted to a maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors, provided that social distancing can be maintained.
6. There will be no singing at events and no use of instruments that a person needs to blow into.
7. We are still subject to the attendance capacities of the venues we are renting. These limits have changed to 50% currently. They may change further. Anyone who is renting a space, I advise that you check in with the venue and get yourself and your group up to speed on any new requirements.
8. NEW: There will be no food/drink at events. Each individual will be responsible for their own food and you must go outside/to your vehicle to eat/drink. There is a plan in place for martial combatants that is posted later in this list. This change was already on my radar but the new rules from the province have further required it.
9. There is a new mandate from the BoD that states that a SCA membership card can be used for ID when showing proof of vaccination. This does not work in Ontario where legislation states that it must be government issued ID.
Specific to martial activities:
1. There has been no change yet to the mask exemption when engaging in sport. An individual may choose to wear a mask under their helm or fencing mask when engaging in armoured combat or fencing but they are not required to.
2. Hats off, mask on. Specifically, when engaging in martial activities indoors; as soon as your helm or fencing mask comes off, your mask must go on. Outdoors, your mask must be put on if you are less than 2m from anyone not of your physical household.
3. NEW: there will be a transition zone set up between the active list field and the observer/social space that is preferred to be 3m in width but can be no less than 2m.
a. This transition zone must be passable by marshals and it must be obviously marked.
b. This is not a space to socialize or store armour, weapons or other items. Exception: a personal water bottle of the active combatant may be left for easy access post combat. It must be taken with the combatant as they leave the transition zone.
c. The only people in this space will be masked marshals and combatants transitioning from the list field to the observer space.
d. This is the space where combatants coming off the list field may pause before putting on their mask and hydrate. Each combatant must maintain 2m from other individuals.
e. A combatant can not spend time in the transition zone, except to hydrate.
f. It is recommended that each combatant bring a water bottle with a straw that can easily be used either under a mask or under a helm.
Sir Richard Larmer has been doing an outstanding job as our Kingdom’s social media officer but his time in that office has come due and we are now onto the search for his successor. The Social media deputy is a deputy of the Seneschal’s office and as per the Seneschal’s policies is responsible for:
• Overseeing various approved social media outlets and accounts used by and within the Kingdom.
• Maintaining compliance with the Society social media policy
• Providing support to local groups
• Maintaining a listing of warranted social media officers
• Provide a copy of the above warrant to the Kingdom seneschal in advance of each Coronation
• Reporting as required.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your letter of intent and relevant experience to email@example.com by 10pm of December 31, 2021. The office changeover will be completed in January 2022.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Sir Richard at Ealdormere.Social@gmail.com or the Kingdom Seneschal for further information
As you are all probably aware, Covid numbers in the province are surging. The provincial government has not yet made any provincial changes to the covid protocols but a number of local health units are doing just that.
As of today, 16 Dec 2021, in the Kingdom of Ealdormere, all events (meetings, gatherings, practices) in private residences are restricted to 10 people maximum, as long as 2m of social distancing can be maintained between individuals.
This does not include rented venues, they still have their own requirements and we will abide by their attendance caps. Be prepared for change.
I am happy to announce that I have found my successors for the offices of Kingdom Thrown Weapons Marshal and Kingdom Archery Marshal THL Iohn Spooner will be taking over thrown weapons and Lady Kitta Mjoksiglandi will be taking over archery. Transition of both offices is already underway and should be completed by Coronation.
I would like to offer my thanks and congratulations to Iohn and Kitta and wish them and successful and problem free term of service.
Looking for an opportunity to play a key role in SCA Inc? The Board of Directors is accepting applications for the position of Corporate Treasurer.
For more information, please visit SCA.org
From the Kingdom Archery marshal and Kingdom Thrown Weapons marshal
My search continues for candidates who are willing and able to take up the offices of Kingdom Archery marshal and Thrown Weapons marshal. I am now well past the date that I was due to hand over both offices, which is to my understanding a violation of our Kingdom’s laws. It is therefore very important that I find successors for these offices as soon as possible. If you are interested or know of anyone else who might be please let me know and I can then advise you on how to submit an application for the position. They are not particularly time or labour intensive offices and mostly involve administrative work and filing quarterly reports with the Kingdom and Society marshals.
Duties of a Kingdom Marshal include:
1. Coordinate activities of all marshals within the kingdom by:
a) Receiving the semi-annual reports from the marshals.
b) Solving problems, anticipating problems or clarifying misunderstandings by answering questions and initiating frequent dialogue with marshals at events.
c) Communicating frequently in the kingdom newsletter.
d) Keeping an up-to-date address/phone list of all warranted and inactive marshals and MIT’s.
e) Renewing warrants annually.
f) Coordinating warranting and training of MIT’s.
g) Consulting periodically with the Crown and the Earl Marshal in order to best respond to kingdom needs.
2. A quarterly report to the Earl Marshal and Society Marshal by means of:
a) Writing reports on the state of archery in the kingdom.
Reports should include:
i) a summary of archery activities in the kingdom
ii) a list of current warranted marshals
iii) a brief summary of the status of current projects you are working on or have delegated
b) Regular check-in at events or by e-mail on the status of current projects
3. Encourage archery throughout the kingdom by:
a) Supporting ideas and projects whenever feasible.
b) Suggesting projects that would help to encourage activity or improve accuracy and accepting feedback on the success or failure of said projects
c) Being a resource for archery and maintaining and enforcing all safety rules
d) Travelling to various regions throughout the kingdom to both encourage archery and gain feedback on activities (being visible and accessible).
e) Making award recommendations to recognize service and skill in archery in the kingdom.
Please contact me at one of the following email addresses:
Master Gunther Wahlstadt
Greetings unto Our beautiful Kingdom of Ealdormere,
Hare was a wonderfully busy day!
We were so happy to have been able to spend a fun filled day in Our Barony of Skraeling Althing this weekend. Well it was also a tad brisk, the rains subsided early and allowed all to enjoy the fresh air outside.
It having been a long time since the last gathering in the Barony, We held three separate courts to fit everything in. We were greatly pleased to recognize so many amazing persons throughout the day and send Their Excellencies Dafydd and Avelyn to their retirement with Our thanks for their service to the Barony and the Kingdom. We have the upmost faith in Their Excellencies Dubhessa and Joffr and know Our Eastern Barony is secure in their capable hands. And even though We split the business up as much as We could, afternoon court still ran a bit late!
We recognized the following persons in Our Courts:
• Morag Taylor – Crucible
• Avelyn of Wexcombe of Great Bedwyn – Court Barony
• Dafydd ap Alan – Court Barony
• Giana Gabriella Da Milano – Crucible
• Brandi of Petrea Thule – AoA
• Christoffe Baldricson – Scarlet Banner
• Nikolai Leeman – Scarlet Banner
• Petra of Septentria – Wain
• Dafydd ap Alan – Wain
• Mjoll Úlfsdóttir - Crucible
• Estienne de Nantes – Crucible
• Estienne de Nantes – Maiden’s Heart
We are greatly pleased to have welcomed Mistress Inge of Sten Mark to Our Order of the Laurel for her music that is an inspiration to so many, Master Giovanni d’Enzinas to the Order of the Laurel for his research in the art of fence and period fashions and Dame Helen of Greyfells to the Order of the Pelican whose service to the Kingdom is unwavering.
We are certain Dame Helen is correct in that she is quite possibly the longest vigilant in Ealdormere history, her boon being begged at Feast of the Hare in the before times over two years ago!
To Breyla and Baldric, it was a wonderful day and we are so very thankful to you and your event staff for such a beautiful event! You all truly went above and beyond and hosted a fabulous day on the river.
A special thank you to Their Excellencies Ramshaven once again for their gift of bacon, this time a heart healthy version!
King Rattanicus and Queen Isabel
I have added a new document to the library on the website. This document is the proof of vaccination checked declaration. It must be filled out at every official SCA event in Ealdormere. This includes all meetings, martial practices, events and gatherings.
This declaration is required by the BoD’s CovidSafe resolution and must be sent to the Kingdom Seneschal’s office within 14 days or before your next meeting/event, whichever is shorter. As with the contact tracing form, you can send it via email to my office: firstname.lastname@example.org
As we don’t record any medical information, this form is signed by those that are checking for proof of vaccination and by signing they are stating that between time x and time y, they checked the vaccination status of those attending.
As always, if you have any questions or require any clarification, please contact me via the email address above.
As you are all very well aware, legislation regarding Covid protocols changes regularly. Having reviewed the latest changes (dated to mid-October) regarding capacity limits and in regards to rented venues, we can increase our attendance restrictions to 50% of the rented venue’s capacity limit, including sport restrictions. You will find this capacity limit in the venue’s covid safety plan. And yes, if they are renting their venue, they are required to have one.
What this means is that when we are planning our weekend events we are restricted to the capacity limit of the hall. That will be our attendance cap, regardless of martial activities. It used to be that martial activities limited us to a 25% capacity limit. That has changed.
The capacity limits for private dwellings remain the same:
The mask mandate in Ealdormere is in effect. This has not changed. Masks must be worn at all times when indoors (exemptions apply) and masks must be worn outside at all times when you can not maintain 2m social distancing.
If you are planning any events or hosting any meetings/practices or gatherings, make sure you have read all the Covid documents for the Kingdom. Those documents and all required documentation are found here:
If you have any questions or require any clarification, please contact me at email@example.com
Now that events have restarted, I’ve been running into some questions about the process and policy so this is an attempt at clarifying some items.
A quick reminder to everyone, please do not show up early to events. If you are not staff, you will not be let in early. We do not want a line-up of cars blocking the way for those that need to get in to set up the event and get it running. This delays everyone. So please, if gate opens at 10am, plan to be there for 10am.
- When a group is renting a venue, we are subject to the venues’ attendance restrictions. This means that we may be able to have more than 100 people at an event, provided that the site’s covid safety plan allows for it. In general (and legislation may be different for particular venues) attendance caps for venues are 50% of normal (25% of normal with martial activities). For example, if a venue could normally accommodate 400 people and not violate fire code, then currently they could hold 200 people or 100 people if there were martial activities.
- For any sites that do not fall under Ontario legislation (for example, private property), then we have attendance restrictions of a maximum 100 outdoors and 25 indoors; provided that adequate social distancing can be maintained. Just because the maximum is 100 people, if your backyard can’t hold 100 people and maintain social distancing, then you can’t have 100 people. The same goes for indoor gatherings.
- When renting a site, please ask to see the venue’s covid safety plan. All sites should have one. This will tell you what your attendance numbers will be. Also be aware that there may be sites out there that will not allow for martial activities (even if they used to allow them) due to not accounting for them in their own safety plan.
- All events should have a copy of the Ealdormere safety plan on site. The event stewards and the local seneschal and appropriate officer for the gathering (ex. Marshal at a martial practice) should have a copy of the Ealdormere plan or know where it is located at the site.
- When determining your schedule for an event, please take into account the extended wait times at gate. If the site opens at 10am and you have a major activity planned for 11am, there will probably not be enough time. Maybe look at opening gate earlier if needed.
- Be aware of the car lineup and how it affects those who need to get into site early to set up the event and how it affects local traffic. We do not want to be blocking access to the site or local roads. If someone arrives early, please ask them to return at opening to avoid unwanted congestion.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments or questions.
As of today, 7 October 2021, Ealdormere will be enacting the BoD’s CovidSafe resolution with a variance specific to the Kingdom of Ealdormere that brings uniformity to all our events and makes it fall in line with the Province of Ontario’s legislation and regulations.
The variance granted reads as thus:
A variance is granted to the Kingdom of Ealdormere in order to bring the policy into line with Ontario's provincial regulations requiring proof of vaccination for all indoor events, which must be followed. The purpose of this variance is to provide Ealdormere with one uniform set of rules, rather than different rules for indoor events versus outdoor events.
In Ealdormere, at all SCA events, all persons ages 12 and over must produce either:
1. Proof of vaccination as defined by Ontario's Proof of Vaccination Guidance; or
2. Proof of a medical exemption granted by the Canadian Health Service as defined by the Ontario Proof of Vaccination Guidance. No other exemption will be accepted. Negative COVID tests will not be accepted.
In addition, identification as described in the Ontario Proof of Vaccination Guidance will be accepted.
There are no exceptions to these rules. This variance only applies to events held within the Kingdom of Ealdormere.
Reference: Ontario Proof of Vaccination Guidance https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/guidance_proof_of_vaccination_for_businesses_and_organizations.pdf
Variance issued 10/5/2021.
Lis Schraer, Society Seneschal
The full CovidSafe BOD policy can be found here:
If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Greetings Unto Our Glorious Kingdom of Ealdormere
It is with great pleasure We are finally able to announce the combatants that will be competing in Our Crown Tournament!
This is truly a wonderful list of honourable and noble combatants and consorts and We look forward to seeing them in Our Tournament on October 30.
King Rattanicus and Queen Isabel
Ealdormere will be following the Proof of Vaccination guidance that has been set out by the BoD.
However due to Ontario legislation, we can not follow the BoD resolution as is. There are points in the resolution that contradict Ontario Legislation. I have been in contact with the Society Seneschal and am working on getting a variance. As you can no doubt understand, the society seneschal and BoD are quite busy at the moment so it may be a little bit more time before I hear back.
Until that time we will be following Ontario legislation (which supersedes the BOD resolution). This means that for our events* that are completely indoors and/or have an option of being indoors, proof of vaccination is required for those 12 years old and above, along with provincially acceptable ID. Under Ontario legislation a negative PCR test does not count as an exemption to the proof of vaccination regulations.
I recognize that our wait times at gate will be longer than normal, and I ask for your continued patience as we work on getting our process sorted out.
For now, when arriving at events the process will involve:
1. Arrive at event, go to designated gate line (very similar to Pennsic). No one may enter the event site until the check-in process is completed.
2. Show proof of vaccination and provincially accepted ID for each person attending.
3. Answer Covid Screening questions (initial and/or detailed as required: all martial combatants must do the detailed screening)
4. Fill out contact tracing form
5. Event sign in (show SCA membership, pay fees, if any)
6. Enter event.
Ealdormere you have been an amazing Kingdom through all of this and I have little doubt that will change. Thank you for making this time and this office a little easier.
*Events as defined by SCA corpora and includes all official meetings, practices, gatherings and weekend
News and Announcements of Importance to the Kingdom of Ealdormere.